2019 sees The Quiet Site again operating as a carbon neutral company. We have managed to minimise unavoidable carbon emissions to virtually zero with some serious measures. As normal we will be planting trees to move us firmly into a carbon positive position. Its great to see other local business getting involved in sustainable issues and we are happy to chat with anyone who is interested. We are in the 14th year of our sustainable journey but we still have a long way to go.
This year sees the opening of a Zero Waste Shop (the first zero waste shop on a holiday park in Britain). We have followed a local/ethical purchasing policy for many years now but this is now being combined with a zero waste tolerance. Please try to remember to bring refillable jars and pots when visiting our shop as we no longer sell single use plastic! In our view zero waste packaging is fundamental to sustainable life, not just sustainable tourism.
Green initiatives in 2019 include
- a new electric powered site utility vehicle, which is charged from our very own solar PV panels.
- A new carbonator machine hugely reducing the need for soft drinks glass bottles in the bar
- New recycling centre
- Zero waste shop
- 5 year electric contract signed for 100% Renewable Electricity. Not cheap but right.
- New deal signed with AW Jenkinson Biomass to supply our woodchip from local sources in 2019. (All heat and hot water at The Quiet Site is derived from our state of the art Biomass boiler and our solar thermal panels that make up the south facing half of the service block roof)
- We will continue to use the sun to pre-heat all our water before it is enters the biomass boiler.
- Our reed bed water treatment plant is entering its 14th Year of perfect operation, costs nothing to run, cleans the water brilliantly and provides a great habitat for bugs, insects and birds.
- A new highly insulated, locally built Glamping Cabin introduced.
- LED lighting introduced over all public spaces
- Local Charity ‘Fix the Fells’ supported with online donations when booking.
- People arriving by foot or public transport get a generous discount when staying.
- Bee Hotel in our wild flower meadow
- All cleaning products used onsite ore deemed eco friendly.
- Toilet paper in all self catering units derived from recycled products (Who Gives A Crap)
- All Crisps sold in compostable wrappings (Two Farmers Crisps)
As a business we ask all our customers to buy into the green ethos. Reduce, Reuse, Refill and Recycle (are the new 4R’s..!)
2019 sees a brand new recycling facility making it easy to do the right thing. We have a donations table for things that are looking for a second home. A second hand clothes bin is also available to donate clothes and shoes where they can do good.
The Quiet bar will continue to sell only locally brewed beer, including the now famous Quiet Pint..!
You can view our Environmental Policy here.
We have again been awarded a Green Tourism Gold award for 2019, we are the only holiday park in the Lake district to have this award. We are also the only holiday park in the Lake District to hold the Trip Advisor Green Leaders Platinum level. Last year we were awarded the Cumbria Tourism’s Gold award for sustainability for the third time!