The Quiet Site as company is very aware of our impact on the environment. We are committed to Sustainable Tourism and have followed a sustainable policy for the last decade.
Our ethos can be summed up using the following 7 points:
- Conserve energy
- Give the car a rest
- Shop local
- Reduce, recycle, reuse
- Respect nature
- Support green business
- Be water wise
This ethos is implemented specifically by;
- Minimise waste by going to landfill. We recycle all our internal waste. We actively encourage our guests to recycle through container signage. Recycling includes clothing, glass, metal, paper and card, soft and hard plastic and disposable BBQ’s (which we recycle ourselves)
- Minimise our electricity usage through constant metering and the selection of appropriate power sources. All in house lighting is movement controlled and low energy. We have an ongoing program of moving to LCD lighting. Customers electric metering is being introduced to encourage responsible use. Every pitch will be metered ‘at cost’ by the start of 2015, not to make money but to promote collective responsibility.
- Minimise the use of water consumption. This is done by metering holiday home water use. In public areas the use of aerated showers and taps, water harvesting and recycling for all WC’s has led to more than a 50% drop in water use.
- Source and promote a product range to minimise environmental impact. Wherever possible we use local suppliers. All beer sold in our bar and shop is brewed within 10 miles. Eggs, bacon, toffee and jams sold in the shop are sourced within 10 miles. If there is a local source, then we endeavour to use it. If not we stock as ethically as possible.
- All hot water and heating in our bar, shop, office, cottages and service block are sourced from renewables. First call is from solar thermal. Second call is from our wood chip fed bio mass boiler. The wood chip used is sourced as a waste product from within 20 miles. We have an extensive tree planting and felling program which will see us fully self sufficient by 2018. Over 4000 trees have been planted to date.
- All building works thermally insulate to very high levels. Installing Scandinavian levels of insulation to public areas during building and renovations will lead to savings in the long term.
- Pollution reduction and prevention. Our reed bed water treatment plant operates naturally without the need of any power, and is therefore not susceptible to power failures, breakdowns or maintenance. We have added 3 additional ponds to the back of our reed bed to further polish the already acceptable dischargeable water. Large amounts of wildlife exist in these three ponds including frogs and newts. Much of the cleaned water we produce is then pumped back up to our service block where it is re-pressurised and used to flush all the WC’s.
- In 2014 we have teamed up with Virgin trains and two other top Cumbrian holiday parks to promote a fully sustainable holiday in the lakes called Pod’n’Pedal ; arriving by train at Penrith, guests cycle past stunning scenery at Ullswater, Keswick and Windermere while staying three nights in locally made camping pods and finally departing by train from Oxenholme. There are also many walks available from our site. See more, drive less!
- We are part of Nurture Lakeland and have a voluntary giving box set up on our online booking system. Many hundreds of pounds have been raised for local conservation projects.
- The site is a haven for wildlife. Bird boxes, wild flower meadows, ponds and native trees all lead to huge amounts of wild life choosing to holiday with us. We offer only low level site lighting at night to promote a dark sky for star watching.
- We have installed a secure bike store to promote cycles as a means of transport.
- Our online booking system saves huge amounts of paper and in conjunction with email saves paper and has virtually eliminated postman pat miles. We are introducing an e-card for our customers to download and send home when they are staying.
- Our Facebook page acts as our nature diary. Lots of photos and sightings are posted by our guests and staff.
- We promote our unique bar as a venue for local clubs and charities to meet free of charge to further integrate us into the local communities. We have hosted many meetings and functions to date and have even been the venue for a locally directed movie last year! We often hold quiz’s to raise money for good causes.
- Our staff, like the beer, are whenever possible sourced locally. They feel included in our Quietly Greener way and often have the best suggestions for our family owned business.