Scenic walks around Ullswater to suit all abilities.
Places you must visit in the Lakes.
Ideas for those unfortunate grey days.
A list of local places to eat that we recommend.
Read more about our unique bar on the campsite.
See what the weather is like in Ullswater.
Fun-packed family days out near The Quiet Site.
Easy to follow directions to The Quiet Site.
Information on camping and caravanning.
Recommended Family Days
- Park at the Lakeside car park in Keswick. Feed the ducks and geese down by the lake. Take the short walk to Friarís Crag and enjoy the stunning views across the lake. Hire a row boat or take a lake cruise. Lunch upstairs at George Fishers or at Maysons.
- Take a return trip on the miniature railway at Ravenglass. Finish your day in the west lakes with a visit to Muncaster Castle. Return via the Hardknott and Wrynose Passes. Stop at the Roman fort and see exactly what the Romans saw!
- Take the Ullswater steamer from Glenridding to Howtown and walk back along the lovely lakeshore path to your car. www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk
- Take a trip to the Visitor Centre at Brockhole where there is an excellent children's playground and beautiful grounds. The Windermere steamer can be caught from here.
- Cycle ride from Threlkeld to Keswick along the route of the old railway line. This is a 'must do' for young families with bikes.
- Walk from The Quiet Site to Aira Force. Lunch there at the café or at the pub in Dockray. Paddle in the rock pools and return via Ulcat Row. See Local Walks page.
- Take a trip on the full-size steam train, www.lakesiderailway.co.uk from Haverthwaite to Windermere, very 'railway children'; then perhaps a cruise www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk or a visit to the Aquarium www.aquariumofthelakes.co.uk
- Try a circular moorland/riverside walk from the idyllic village of Helton with fantastic views. See Local Walks page.
- Canoe Trail around Ullswater. Find out where to hire boats, launch and lunch! discover.edenriverstrust.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=75
- Try one of many Tale Trails fun local story walk for children and the young at heart www.taletrails.co.uk these walks can be purchased from The Quiet Site shop.